TVR cars are autos fit for racing enthusiasts
TVR cars was founded in 1947 by Trevor Wilkinson who used three consonants from his first name as the title for his company Trevcar Motors. In 1947, Wilkinson built his first car, a special two-seater body on an Alvis Firebird chassis for himself.
He was to later partner with a man by the name of Jack Pickard and they formed TVR engineering. They built their first car in 1949 which was an alloy-bodied two seater on a tubular chassis.
In 1953 the concept of glass-reinforced plastic bodywork over a tubular steel backbone chassis was accepted, and continued throughout TVR's current production history.
In 1954, TVR Engineering was renamed TVR, in light of the launch of the first "production" car called the Mk1, later name Grantura. The TVR Grantura was the first model in a long line of TVR cars and debuted in 1958.
The Grantura bodyshell was made from glass-reinforced plastic and made use of a variety of proprietary components. The bonnet was front hinged. There was no opening at the rear but the boot could be accessed from inside the car - the spare wheel had to be removed through the front doors.
Buyers could choose from a range of powerplants which included a choice of side or overhead valve engines from Ford, a Coventry Climax unit or the MGA B-series engine.The cars went through a series of developments leading to the I to IV and 1800S models. The last ones were made in 1967.
It was in 1963 that the TVR Griffith established the principle for today’s TVR - a powerful engine and lightening performance.
It was fundamentally a Grantura with a Ford V8 which had been using in GT-40 and the Mustang Shelby. 271hp pushing the lightweight body gave it a performance nearly matching the mighty AC Cobra.
An American, Jack Griffith came up with the idea for the car in 1964, and secured rights to market the cars in the US.
Griffith first attempt was to put the Ford V8 engine from Mark Donohue's AC Cobra into a TVR Grantua. While this did not work, the idea prompted further conversations. Griffith wanted TVR to supply him with modified TVR Grantura chassis, without an engine or transmission, and TVR complied with his request.
The Griffith Series 200 could either be fitted with a 195 horsepower (145 kW) motor, or a high-powered 289 cubic inches (4.74 l) that put out 271 horsepower (202 kW). Performance over 0 to 60 mph was very good, taking just 3.9 seconds, and the car had a 150 mph (240 km/h) top speed, ranking it as a factory hot rod.
The Griffith Series 200 was followed by the Griffith Series 400 and the Griffith Series 600 before the company ceased operations.
After a series of bankruptcies and change hands, TVR was stablised in the hands of Lilleys. The Grantura and Griffith were evolved into Tuscan.
The TVR Tuscan was a front engine, rear wheel drive sports car built by TVR from 1967 to 1971 in the company's Blackpool, England factory. It was the second car developed by TVR during the Martin Lilley era of the automotive firm.
The car was made available in both a V8 and a V6 format, with a total of 174 cars built between the two available engine formats.
In 1967, the first Tuscans were made available with only the V8 motor. The motor was a 4727cc Ford V8, similar to the motor available in early Ford Mustangs.
In 1969, TVR would release the Tuscan equipped with a 2994cc OHV Ford Essex V6 motor. The V6 powerplant produced 136hp, and the car was able to reach speeds of 125mph.
TVR cars have withstood the test of time and they continue to produce sports cars which are a beauty and engineered to perform.
Return from TVR cars to antique sports cars
Return from TVR cars to home page